Pardon the dust--under renovation..AGAIN!!
What began as a journey to be fit by my 40th..well..my 41st birthday...ok..let's shoot for 42...okay 43?! Now, not only fitness/food related, but navigating the world with a child with Aspergers Syndrome and Celiac Desease and one who doesn't but deals with it all , pretty well. Trying to live healthy and productively..evolving daily.Work in progress...

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gratitude on account of a boil order...



I am thankful for.............................................

At thanksgiving, every year my kids do that paper..where they say what they are thankful for and draw a picture. I am still waiting to make that page....the bed, dog, fish,food and grandparents have...but I digress.

I need to do that today.





We had a BOIL ORDER in our town starting in the afternoon on Friday. This means our tap water was contaminated and needed to be boiled before usage. This also meant no tap water for : drinking, hand washing,teeth brushing, dishes, or cooking. I also took it further and wouldn't shower or do laundry (but what won't I do to get out of many of the above activities). Our laundry and dishes piled up. There was always a pot of water on the stove. I didn't shower. I actually had the time to work out..but didn't want to get all sweaty b/c I had no shower. I was really thirsty..just b/c I knew I couldn't just reach for a glass of water. Basically...I REALLY MISSED THE WATER. Of course, we take this stuff for granted, because it's always there...but besides the inconvenience ...it was a bit of an eye opener as well. When the boil order was lifted last night, I took A GREAT SHOWER. I gladly threw a load of dishes and laundry in. I thought about this little experience..I thought about how others reacted to it..with a sense of panic and entitlement....how others called to offer water , a shower or a helping hand...I was proud of the kids who dealt just fine with it and made the best of it. Of course I will turn it into a learning experience for them. So, water...I APPRECIATE YOU! I will for sure do my best to drink all my water this week ans a thank you to water.

I am thankful for....

My husband--I had a hard week. I just over committed myself. He really tried to do all he could to help me and to lighten my load....he filled in when I was supposed to volunteer in A's gym class..he took a few of my carpool duties, He never complained about the cluttered state of the home and how all my stuff is alllllllllllllllllllllll over the place nor about the nights when making dinner just wasn't going to happen. He supported me, listened and built me up when I was low. I don't say it enough, RT...THANK YOU.

I am thankful for............
  • my dog who is ALWAYS HAPPY TO SEE ME.

  • my parents who are so good to my children..how lucky my kids are

  • the friends and family that understand me and still love me...the ones that are there for me and I for them

    • water

    • my husband

    • my children

    • Claire, who MADE me swim this week

    • my home

    • my life--not bad at all..yes it has some bumpy parts..but I do feel pretty fortunate to have SOOO much good.

    • my job- yes..mostly it sucks--but don't most jobs..but how lucky am I that I can work from home..no..I will not get rich doing this work...but every little bit helps.

    • me- wow, really? yes, really! You aren't bad! You are a good friend, mother, daughter,sister/in law, wife, volunteer...Maybe I'd even be friends with me. I would definitely choose me over some of what's out there. (but that's for another day's post--about stuff that bothers me..b/c that list is reallylong too)

    • my stuff- bed, ipod,tivo,computer


    and................
    this blogging community for the motivation, support and entertainment.

    Well, there's the whole Megillah...a seasonal pun for Purim . Not health related, directly, but still important to do.

    Besides, I was not my best yesterday..but it's a new fresh day. Have a great day.
    See ya on check in Tuesday!!

    6 comments:

    Heather said...

    oh dear! I would die without water!

    Hanlie said...

    I could go without electricity,but going without water is pushing it! You handled it brilliantly!

    Love the gratitude list!

    Anonymous said...

    Ugh.. I would die if I lived in the city. We have our own water well so the water we get is cold and clean... I hope your water situation is better now!

    The best part about a new day is that you get a chance to start all over again!

    Have a great week!!

    Anonymous said...

    I love this post. Sorry that you had water problems but it sounds like it really had a silver lining.

    It's so important to appreciate the good things in our lives...and so easy to lose sight of them. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder...I think it wouldn't be bad to have a weekly post of things for which we are thankful. Perhaps that will be my Thursday focus...Thankful Thursday. :-) Heh. But honestly, this is an excellent reminder. So I'm thankful for that!

    Have a wonderful week!

    V.

    Erin said...

    I remember being on a boil order. I think it was during the summer though, so we just used it as an excuse to stay outside, took the kids to the park, the zoo, and probably a few more places.

    It makes you appreciate the things we take for granted!

    Dietbook-I'm going to share that Thankfull Thursday idea with you!

    Erin
    http://marriedsinglemomof3.blogspot.com/

    Manuela said...

    Being thankful shouldn't be just at Thanksgiving. You've got such a great outlook!

    Thank you for sharing.