last week i talked about being present..being in the moment...observing..noticing...focusing. When I used to teach,we had an expression, "a teachable moment". Something that isn't in the lesson plan or textbook, but turns up and is a perfect opportunity to learn from it. I try to look for and maximize these moments. So, as I stumble/click through the blogoshphere I find them here and there..little things that jump out at me..simple items like greener housekeeping tips, healthier living tips..so on.I found my teacher in a convenient place this weekend. My little Abby taught me a thing or two about self control and healthy choices this weekend. On Thursday,Abby came home with this sore on her face. It just showed up. It looked like something my son had for about a year called IMPETIGO. Anyway, it was right on her cheek, big and...pardon the detail..crusty. We told her not to touch. And SHE DIDN'T!!! And guess what...it's going away!! I was so impressed with her self control and ability to leave it alone. She's a little kid and she can control her impulses, but me..the grown up...picks, picks, picks. When I praised her on her quick healing and lack of picking..she said.."now you do it. If I can, you can." She's right. She's a kid..and they can't help acting on impulses and she can do ..SO CAN I. So..this will be the habit of the week. Stop picking! One other thing I notice about my girl is that, if there is a choice between cakes/candy or fruit for dessert or snack...she will always go for the fruit. How awesome is that! I was NEVER like that. I still am not. I always chose the junk. Well...my little Abby has taught me a few things. How about that. I didn't mention that she has totally de-cluttered her bedroom. Oh dear..Is she the anti-me?
One last thing she said to me,, we were showering together a few days ago.. and she looked at my feet..and said "your feet don't match the rest of your body..they look like they belong on a smaller person." Stupidly or maybe I am a glutton for punishment , I actually asked for elaboration. She then said,"Well , your feet and legs are small, but the rest of you is BIG". Ok..gotcha. I then explained to her about different body types and that while mom is built like an upside down triangle, some are triangles and some are circles,ect. Teachable moment? I don't know. Just another reminder/message that it's time to get in shape...what shape...hmmmm..hahaha.
Anyway...on another note, I am thrilled to have one good week down. I had such a busy weekend full of temptations and I am so glad to say that I went to a movie and DIDN'T get popcorn!
I am also glad to say that I am down 4 lbs since last weeks weigh in!!!
Ps- Yea..that lovely picture above will be a BEFORE pic FO SHO! Behind me, is my inspiration for this post and my lil guy too.

10 comments:
Well done on the loss! Woohoo!
I find that I don't pick as much now that I'm doing the oil cleansing method. And I bought one of those extracting tools, which I believe is much more hygenic and causes less damage.
Your little girl is remarkable!
Thanks for checking out my blog - I am so excited for your journey. Your before picture is already beautiful!
Heh... my child (who is actually underweight for her age, according to her doctor, altho I think she's fine and energetic, so what does he know?) is picking up on my good food habits (that her father and I have been working on all year.) But I must say, I probably talk about my diet too much.
The other day, listening to her talk to one of her little friends, she said "Oh, I need to lose about six pounds!"
Kids say the funniest things.
Congrats on the loss.
hey susie.. I had a something or other related to a donut fixation today .. bad choice on my part.. fruit would have been much better and sadly it was highly accessible.. but I went with the impulse.. sigh.. we can both do this .. and blessings on your daughter for talking to her mommy in way that mommy got taught too..
Yay for those teachable moments! And, isn't it something what we can learn from kids? I found that out right away!
Can't wait to enter the warm weather all thin and fit--how about you?
(Question: any good books you would recommend for literature circles? any good activities to go along with those books? Thanks in advance)
Way to go on the loss, a great start for the new year! I wish I had the good sense to go for the fruit without having to think about it, smart girl.
OMG, Susie!! You are adorable, what a cute pic. Isn't it funny how easy kids make things?? I think its because we give them the tools they need that maybe we didn't get somewhere along the line. Even at Christmas, I am loading up a plate of cookies for Santa and Bodie was like, "Why don't we leave a healthy choice??" Then runs to the fridge and gets the applesauce.
Thanks for checking in with me!!
I think one of the reasons I started to get overweight as an adult is I could buy anything I wanted. Growing up it was Wheaties or Cherrios, no pop, certainly no candy, except for when my mom had bridge and would buy huge bags of M&M's for the ladies and we couldn't have any!
I like your before picture too!
Very nice! I lok forward to your journey updates!
Post a Comment