Pardon the dust--under renovation..AGAIN!!
What began as a journey to be fit by my 40th..well..my 41st birthday...ok..let's shoot for 42...okay 43?! Now, not only fitness/food related, but navigating the world with a child with Aspergers Syndrome and Celiac Desease and one who doesn't but deals with it all , pretty well. Trying to live healthy and productively..evolving daily.Work in progress...

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

rebounding

Well, I was pretty low yesterday..feeling all poor me and I'm all alone...but hey..I'm not. I talked to 3 close friends about this yesterday and each had little morsels of goodness, comfort and strength to share.

#1 said- She understood. She went through similar experiences the year before and walks my walk, although our boys have different issues. She feels my pain and while she can't fix it, she's there to hold my hand or lend me a tissue when needed. Thank Gd for her.

#2 Suggested that maybe I need to rethink my expectations and not set him up for failure. I also need to relax. She says that I'm often so uptight about his behavior and him fitting in that I don't get to enjoy anything. She also suggested that I am more open about him. Maybe people don't understand us b/c they don't know that he can't help some of the things he does. Basically, I NEED TO COME TO TERMS WITH OUR SQUARE PEG STATUS.

#3 Said--He is who he is and I need to accept it and not set us all up for failure. He's an amazing kid, just right now it's a rough patch. Accept it otherwise, I'm not going to be happy and enjoy social outings.

So, I've got some soul searching to do. I know I get uptight b/c everyone else's kids  just go with the flow and mine..not so much. Not at all. Unless going with the flow is on the schedule and has to do with his current area of high interest, of course.
I didn't hang my head or shed a tear today. I kept on keeping on. He's happy and healthy and that's what matters.

So, once I can deal with our square pegginess and go with it, maybe he will....

I guess I'm not as alone as I thought.

No comments: